Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Carry-On Craze

I have just recently been turned on to the concept of bringing a carry-on and ONLY a carry-on bag for a trip.

As a girl who loves her beauty products, I always just hid behind the rules disallowing liquids greater than 2 oz. "Sorry, my shampoo bottle is 5 oz. Guess I have to check it in!" The reality is, yes I know I can pour that shampoo into a smaller container, I just don't like feeling limited. I always want to bring an outfit for ANY occasion-what if we stumble upon a black tie affair on our hike?? Not to mention how horrible I am at packing/folding... a carry-on bag does not accommodate these issues very well.

However, with a recent trip I am planning, I have been forced to bring a carry-on as my main luggage (luckily I am gifted with a daypack allowance as well).

Yes, I will have to leave behind a greater portion of the salon under my sink. Yes, I may have to wear outfits over and over. No, I will not be able to bring three pairs of heels. No, that adorable wool coat I own cannot come along as it would take up 60% the bag.

BUT starting to shake those sad realizations, I am coming to realize all the benefits a carry-on can bless me with. 

For starters, we will be flying a lot. And I mean A LOT. Think every two days. To different countries mainly. On airlines I am unfamiliar with. Although I have never had my luggage lost (knock on wood), the reality that the chances of my luggage getting lost just greatly increased scared me enough into agreeing to a carry-on only. If my bag gets lost...I am kind of screwed! Also, to continue with flight issues, if we are late to catch our plane I have a better chance of making it if I am not checking luggage! Plus, this way my belongings will be more secure as I will be the only one handling my bag. 

In addition to the security, it will save me a lot of time too. We have limited time in some cities and it seems wasteful to spend an extra thirty minutes-one hour each time waiting for my bag to appear on the carousel when I can just walk off the plane with it in hand and be on my way!

Also, when I envision us getting out of the airport I like the thought of us smoothly gliding to the hotel, one bag each. Rather than dragging a ton of luggage up and down stairs and through crowds. 

Realizing how much better off I will be with only a carry-on (that is if I can master the packing-more on that to come later), I started thinking about all the other trips I could take in the future and how much easier it will be for me to learn how to live out of a carry-on. Not to mention the fact that most domestic airlines are charging ridiculously for checked luggage these days!!

Therefore, I am going to dedicate a monthly post to tips, tricks and suggestions to make traveling with a carry-on bag easier and still stylish.

Tip #1: You don't have to use a boring black bag. 


You can use a colorful, playful pattern like this bag:


International Traveller Shiny Large Dots 19" Carry on (Purple with Pink)
Or, a classic style that is both fashionable and colorful (and look at the cute mini case it comes with!):
Pink Rockland 2 Piece Luggage Set
Cheers!

No comments: